Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Longing for the Genteel South


It's finally over! Boxing Day is DEAD!

Thank the good Lord! I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I agreed to go shopping this morning for leftover Christmas goodies to match our other Christmas goodies that we'd paid full price for weeks ago.

Yes, I am an American. Yes, I've been shopping on Black Friday. Yep, also on the day after Christmas. Once again, yes to having shopped on Christmas Eve.

Oh. My. GOD! I have never in my life been stepped on, shoved, pushed, and reviled to get the hell out of someone's way just so they could fight over some tacky piece of 50% off shitty, half broken ornament. What the hell is this world coming to? C~ hastened to remind me of all the horror stories that come over from the USA of shoppers experiences...such as people getting mugged whilst in line, "ladies" fighting in parking lots, full on battles over Tickle Me Elmo's and so on and so forth, ad nauseum.

Well! I have never seen it happen. Perhaps it is because I am a product of the "Genteel South"? Who knows? All I know is that now I am about to settle down at 3 pm to rest my poor widdle feetsies, have a glass of wine, turn on the Boxing Day Test, and read a little bit of a "trashy" (tongue on cheek) Catherine Coulter novel called Lord Harry.

*gif image borrowed from mooselet*

1 comment:

outoutout said...

Hahaha! You are one brave woman. I didn't dare venture out of the house on Boxing Day, except to drive Kirk to work at the local shopping centre. He said it was hell on wheels.

Sad to say, I have actually seen people get into fights at Wal-Mart on Black Friday... two women nearly came to blows over a $99 DVD player (this was several years ago). But that's, like, the only time in my entire life, and I went shopping every Black Friday.. love it! hehehe