Thursday, November 02, 2006

RE: Last post


Ok, last post notwithstanding, I'm generally not given to maudlin or self-pitying behaviour. I should have re-read montchan's post about her being swede-ified. Yep, that one truly made me laugh.

Ok, for all the folks not in the know about that pic I used for last post. That is my parents circa 1968. Dad was leaving for Viet Nam. It was a picture taken by one of those photographer dudes they have for every ship. My dad was in the Navy on the U.S.S. Jouett . The above picture is of my parents now, or as they looked a month ago on their 40th anniversary.

I'm so happy that they have had a good year. This year they got to have their 40th anniversary ( a surprise party) and they also got to take their first REAL vacation in many years. All by themselves, no kids trailing along and they went off to LA to visit some cousins, then on to San Diego (where I was born). THat's where they went to a reunion of the Jouett. Dad got to see lots of guys he spent 4 years with out on the high seas. TO hear him tell it, they didn't see a single day of action, just cooked steaks on hibachis and stole strawberry ice cream....ermmmm, I mean requisitioned the ice cream. Kind of reminds me of an old M*A*S*H* re-run to hear him tell it.

Perhaps one day I'll relate some of those old stories. Perhaps not. Perhaps I'm just being maudlin again.

No comments: