Thursday, November 02, 2006

Tomato Pie Recipe


Tomato Pie

1 Pie shell, unbaked

5 large tomatoes sliced

½ tsp salt

½ tsp pepper

3 tsp dried basil (I like to use freshly torn basil leaves is I have them)

*may also substitute dried Italian Seasoning Herb Blend*

Sprinkle of garlic powder *to taste*

¾ cup good mayonnaise (not miracle whip or other sweet type mayo)

1 ¼ cups sharp cheddar cheese

Layer tomatoes, sprinkling each layer with seasonings

Mix mayo & cheese (salt, pepper, garlic, and seasonings may also be added to this to make it taste nicer). Spread mayo/cheese mixture over the top tomatoes. Bake at 350 F for 35-40 minutes on middle rack.

When top is nicely golden brown, it is ready, let cool and serve slightly warm. It keeps well in the fridge, just heat up in the microwave and you have a wonderful snack!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've had this recipe, and it is yummy if you like tomatoes! Glad you posted it, as I haven't had it in sooo long. Where do you find the "sharp cheddar" in Australia? To my knowledge, there isn't any? Do you substitute?

kitten said...

I use Woolworth's Brand "Vintage Cheddar". I have found that this is the same, or there is Cracker Barrel Extra Sharp Cheddar available at either Woolworth's or Coles grocery stores. I also only use Best Foods Mayo which is made by the same company that makes Best Foods & Hellmann's mayo "back home". Hope that helps! I think that if you buy a really good quality Tasty cheese it would also work. Just don't buy the store brand unless you really, really like it.